29 Jan 2015

• The Sponge vs. The Brush •


When it comes to base application, I like having my choices. I have a variety of different brands and formulas of brushes that all help my foundation to look a certain way I like. I've always been a buffingbrush-esque girl and haven't ever tried anything else, but I decided to give something new a try.

I've tried makeup sponges before, but we've never really gotten on well. Either it ended up being ripped to shreds, soaked up all the product or simply felt hard on the skin (beware of the Model's Own Makeup Sponge...). But, I was pretty intrigued at what Real Techniques had to offer, especially as I've loved most of their other tools. The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is different to others like it as it has a really handy flat edge that just lets you pat in your foundation for extra blending. It does sheer out your foundation slightly, so keep in mind you'll have to use more than usual, but it gives a lovely even finish.

Now to the brush. The Real Techniques Buffing Brush is definitely one of an average blogger's holy grail, but right so! The bristles have just the right density and blends in your foundation really nicely. The one annoying thing is that you do have to buy this in a set, but I think it's totally worth it!

Overall, I'd probably rate both methods of application equally - they both give an amazing finish, I just find that the sponge works better with BB creams whilst the brush works better with foundations and powder. I'd definitely recommend them, and they're both under a tenner!

Zazie x