© A Little Treat. Powered by Blogger.

The Importance of Giving Back


Living in New York City is hard. Yes, being surrounded by the stereotypical "rich kids" of Manhattan on a daily basis, I admit, makes me a little blinded to the privilege I have. But then I step out of my little bubble and am faced with an immense amount of homelessness that pulls me straight back to reality. The huge gap between wealthy and poor here in the city is so obvious, yet so many people seem so oblivious.

As someone who is privileged enough to wake up in a warm bed every day, eat three full meals and has the ability to go to school and get an education, it just seems so easy to ignore the pleas and signs of the homeless in New York. This is why I think it is so important to give back and help your community, whether that is your apartment complex or your city as a whole. Here are just a few little things that I do, and causes I support, that I hope makes a little difference...


1.  Soup Kitchen

For almost a year now, my friend and I have been helping out at a local soup kitchen in the city. We prepare the food and serve it to those less fortunate -- and let me tell you, the amazing stories I have heard, the conversations, the laughs and the real smiles I've seen on their faces is enough to make me feel like I'm making even a little difference to the community. Sure, waking up at 7am every weekend might not sound like everybody's cup of tea, but the feeling of accomplishment and my actions having meaning is more than enough to motivate me.

2.  Global Citizen Festival

Okay, so it's a music festival. But the cause behind it, and the immense amount of celebrity endorsement really helps to spread the message that we must put an end to poverty, and most importantly, that if we all come together, we can. Last year I attended the festival, and although it was obviously amazing to see some really talented artists like Rihanna or Kendrick Lamar live, it was great to know that every artist really cared about bringing more awareness to poverty and starvation in the world, which nowadays can be hard to find.


These aren't events I've planned, however if you're looking to create an event to help a charity, give back and most importantly make a difference to your community, I would highly recommend using Eventbrite's website, which will help you guide and plan your non-profit event. Let me know what you wish to do to make a change in the world.

Zazie x