Anxiety is a real thing. Whether it's a once in a lifetime sort of thing for the lucky ones out there, or a daily occurrence for those that suffer with a serious disorder, it is something almost every person is faced with in life. And with it comes a multitude ways of dealing with it.
For the past three years I've been living in a big city (New York City that is). Although I had lived in a city prior, Singapore just felt a lot more spacious in a way that wasn't claustrophobic, which is a key factor in times when I feel anxious. As expected, the pace of New York is a lot faster and although it is a place that I truly love, I can definitely understand ways in which this can seem pretty overwhelming and triggering to some people.
1. Find a quiet place
I know this might seem impossible amongst all the hustle and bustle, but trust me, NYC has some amazing little spots dotted around the city, notably a ton of green parks. Living right near Central Park, this was always my go to, and although it is obviously a huge tourist destination, it really doesn't feel like it as there are still lots of areas that feel completely cut off from the city. There are also lots of smaller parks scattered around downtown. It's nice to just sit down or take a stroll somewhere where there aren't fumes all around you, and maybe it's my hometown influencing me here, but the feel of nature immediately puts my mind at ease.
2. Drink water and BREATHE.
Yes, this might seem like an obvious point to make, but I always make sure to have a full bottle of water with me whenever I'm out. Especially in the summer time I can sometimes feel a little faint in the heat of the city and just taking small sips of water can relax me. Plus you know, gotta get those daily 2 litres in somehow.
3. Make a soothing playlist, and maybe an upbeat one too
The easiest way to cut out the noise of the city, no doubt, is to pop in your earphones and blast some music. I've always had a close connection to songs and have a variety of playlists to suit my many moods. I often find myself in a crowded subway and so to push all thoughts of claustrophobia and anxiety to the back of my mind, I put on my chill, soothing playlist filled with calming songs (My current fave: Alex Turner's It's Hard To Get Around The Wind).
I know some of these might sound quite obvious and simplified but as I said before, I don't suffer from an anxiety disorder, however I hope these have given you some ideas and ways to tackle your anxiety in a big city.

No comments